Thursday, March 03, 2005

The latest comments

Here are some of the comments from readers over SaveDoNotCall.com since yesterday. You can submit comments of your own by clicking here.

I am a customer of National City Bank. I want to let them know that I strongly oppose their attempt to circumvent the Indiana do not call list. I pay for my telephone for my personal use and not to provide them with a cheap marketing tool. If the Do Not Call List in Indiana is circumvented, I would like to let my bank know that I fully intend to pull my money out of their bank and place it in a bank that has respect for my wishes and did not particpate in this.

***

I am opposed to lifting the ban on this disgusting and annoying form of telephone harassment!! I have worked shift work and have been awakened during the day when I have tried to sleep. I now have call forward from my home telephone to my cell phone. If the ban is lifted these annoying calls will now cost me money!!

This is just another case of banks pursuing the almighty dollar at the expense of the little guys.

***

Please leave the do not call list law intact. There are too many companies who abused their ability to call people at home, over and over again. Interrupting important family activities to harass and badger private citizens with absolutely no accountability. Even when we told these companies over and over again that we were not interested in their services, they kept no records of our refusals and continued to invade our private family time, seeming not to care even as we continued to voice our objections.

If I watch a TV show, go to the movies or read a newspaper, I understand that viewing advertisement is part of paying for the service. I voluntarily enter into this compact every time I enjoy one of these services. But my private time is my own, and I deeply resent commercial enterprises that take advantage of our open society by using the phone lines to contact me with advertisements when I derive no benefit in return. In fact, I pay for my own phone service and it should be illegal to use a privately owned communication device without the owner's consent, which these companies routinely do.

My rights as an American citizen should supercede any special interest group's lobbying efforts and I will not stand idly by while they attempt to weaken this law. If the telemarketing industry had done a better job of policing themselves in the first place, we would not have needed the do not call list. But they stampeded over our concerns and didn't police themselves, so we as Indiana citizens acted to preserve our rights to privacy and the sanctity of our homes.

I implore you not change the do not call list law in any way. If you do, there will be political and economic consequences for you and any who try to assist you, as the anger and frustration I express is shared by the vast majority of Indiana citizens. It is the will of the people, therefore that you abide by and uphold he privacy protections in the current law.

***

i bank with Key Bank and Bank One. I will leave both accounts if this do not call list is defeated.
Why can't you just waste more money simply mailing stuff to me? Why must you invade my space by telephone too?

***

I have accounts and loans with three of the top banks (Bank One, Wells Fargo, National City) opposing the Do Not Call list, please be aware that I am aware that I am just one person, but I will not hesitate to transfer my dealings to a local Credit Union that is not interfering with the Do Not Call list. I for one appreciate the ability to chose who I have dealings with and who contacts me. When the solicitors start paying my phone bill, than the will have the right to call me, until then it is my right not to be bothered! I also am encouraging many of my friends to contact you in support of the do not call list.

***

Do NOT listen to the rest of the people that are e-mailing you, or whatever this submition does. I DO NOT support this movement. This movement is a massive waste of money that could be put to much better use, and is going against something that is not causing any problems. This was started up by someone that DID NOT do full research into the topic. Banks don't make calls unless needed. I have never gotten a call from my bank that I did not want or need. If anything they saved me big time with warning and such.

***

I wish to go on record in support of Indiana's Do Not Call law.

Neither my family nor myself wish to be disturbed by the unwanted, unneeded and worst of all, unsolicited, telephone sales spiels from your banks. I also do not want to receive calls from your related finance/mortgage companies, credit card departments, insurance and financial planning departments/firms, real estate ventures or any banking facility.

If I want to become a customer of your bank, or if I am interested in any of your products, I will contact your bank. I do not phone you unnecessarily; I expect the same courtesy in return. Harassing, interruptive phone calls only serve to alienate my against your specific banks and institutions.

I am now actively engaged in battle to keep my home phone lines clear. I am passing this information on to my family, friends, neighbors and co-workers. I ask you not to alieniate your current and/or future bank clients by pushing for the repeal of Indiana's Do Not Call law.

***

Please do not take away my quiet evenings and private times with my family by calling and trying to sell me some crap I do not want!

***

TO IT MAY CONCERN;
WHAT ON EARTH MAKES YOU PEOPLE THINK THAT AMERICA WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU ON OUR TELEPHONES.I HOPE ENOUGH PEOPLE RESPOND TO THIS PROGRAM SO YOU ARE INNUDATED WITH THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF E-MAILS. THIS WAY YOU CAN EXPERIANCE THE UNWANTED INTERUPTIONS YOU PROVIDE AMERICA WHEN WE FINALLY GET TO SIT DOWN FOR DINNER AFTER A LONG DAYS WORK AND HORRIFFIC TRAFFIC TO AND FROM OUR EMPLOYMENT! iT WOULD NOT BOTHER ME IF ALL PEOPLE INVOLVED IN TELAMARKETING FELL OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!!!!!!
AN ANGRY PERSON, WILLING TO DO WHAT EVER IS NECESSARY TO KEEP YOUR KIND QUITE

PS
I AM SAVING THIS E-MAIL SO I CAN SEND IT EVERY DAY!!!

***

In my opinion there is nothing more irritating than to be interrupted with whatever you are doing to answer a phone with a sales person trying to sell you something you did not ask for and do not want or have any use for. There is plenty of room in the advertising medium of newspapers to take care of any thing they wish to sell.

Please do not allow anyone to once again use our phone for advertising purposes.

Thank you for your consideration.

***

We realize that telemarketers need income to live and support their families, but they have become a real nuisance and burden with the constant phone calls and their 'pitches'. We were taught manners on the phone (meaning not to hang up on someone, but the constant phone calls at all hours of the day and night, does set aside all teachings sometimes. Emails or letters from banks, etc. would be acceptable, but please give the phone a rest and leave us alone.

LEAVE THE DO NOT CALL LIST ALONE, PLEASE.

***

Please do not allow a change to our do not call guidelines that would allow any more exclusions. Before I signed up my phone never stopped ringing with sales calls. We have a family member who sleeps during the day and they were constantly being bothered. I should not have to turn off my ringer and miss calls I do want to receive or emergency calls just to have peace from telemarketers. If they want to offer me a service and they have dealt with me in the past they have my address - let them mail me a brochure. The post office could use the business.

***

I cannot believe that you are petitioning to make changes to the “DO NOT CALL” for YOUR benefit.

If you are MY bank, you should respect my right to privacy and that includes no solicitation. I'll come and talk to you on MY time when I need information. You stuff my statements with fliers, you send me other sales solicitations, and I don't need to talk to you, too, when you decide I need a sales call.

Our society has become so money hungry and sales driven and you think that the phone is for your sales advantage, and if I choose to not be called it is discriminatory. WRONG! You discriminate against my right to privacy and peace and solitude in my own home. I purchased the phone and I pay the bill. I do that because I want to be able to talk to those I choose to speak with when I choose to do so!!!

ENOUGH! Stop the litigation and STOP spending money on things like this! Pay the sales people you have better wages and promote them for doing good jobs. REWARD the competent and cut your fluff… you’ll make a profit.

***

Continue do not call!!!

I hate telemarketers!!!