Monday, February 21, 2005

Latest comments from readers

Here are some of the comments we received from readers since last week:

I was interested to see that the banking industry thinks that consumers should pay for their privacy by purchasing caller id. Since I cannot afford the "bells and whistles" on my telephone service, that makes me a fair target? Banks unfairly target the poor!!!!

***

I think if people want to telemarket us on our telephones they should pay our phone bills. Maybe if THEY paid our bills we wouldn't mind so much. But when I pay for a service I believe I should have a choice to not be bothered by someone. I don't have time to deal with these people. Not to mention that most of them that I used to get calls from BEFORE the Do Not Call List, were VERY rude when I would try to tell them I was not interested. I even had them hang up on me when I would say I wasn't interested. THE DO NOT CALL LIST NEEDS TO BE LEFT ALONE. If it is not, I may not want a home phone anymore.

***

First, THANK YOU ATTORNEY GENERAL for alerting the people of Indiana on this situation..and for the " No Call List" Do the Banks really think they can gain customers from those of us who don't want telemarketing ?? Seems they would spend thier money and efferts more effectively with other sources!! If I put a sign outside my home that said " I prefer people not stand in my front yard", most people would respect that !!!!! but evidentlly I would have some Bank Execs standing in my yard !?*#

***

I think its ridiculous the state is spending $30K a day to stop calls from being made yet at the same time we are being asked to reach in our pockets further to help bail the state out of it's worse debt in decades. Along the same lines it's also real interesting that while businesses can no longer call those on the DO NOT CALL list, politicians remain exempt and continue to call.

Perhaps if Steve Carter wants to show he is really serious about stopping the phone from ringing he would stop the political calling as well. Otherwise this is just another attempt for a political leader to jump on the bandwagon and â€oeact” like he cares but really is more concerned about getting the vote and keeping his policital agenda front and center, even at $30K a day!

Not sure which is more annoying these days; the phone ringing or these advertisements to stop it. For $30K a day in fellow Hoosier taxes, I can hang up my phone several times a day much cheaper!

***

Maybe we should try to get the FCC to adopt Indiana's law because we like it better and probably the rest of America would as well. That's what I put in my msg to the FCC.

***

This banking institutions are NOT paying my phone or cell phone bills. I have the right to talk to whomever I want. If I want their business I will solicitate them. I value my privacy when I get home from a hard day of working.

I am on a fixed income so I cannot AFFORD caller ID. This is the best thing that has ever been done for the consumer.

Praise to Steve Carter for helping us.

***

I sent an email to Bank One and told them it would be a shame if I had to move all of my accounts to one of the banks that have already dropped off the petition list.

***

Dear Sir:
I signed up for the do-not-call list for one reason: I reserve the right to call who I wish when I wish--not vice versa. Make no mistake. I will not do business with any bank seeking to do an end-run around the do-not-call status.
I will cease doing business with Fifth-Third on the next business day. And I will carry this message to those with whom I work--and I work at a large institution--daily and with vigor.
Stop this nonsense.
Thanks and have a wonderful day. You robbers.

***

In this day and age.....only a FOOL would do business with a company that makes cold calls to them at home.

***

The idea that someone can call me when I do not wish to be called could be considered harrassment. This do not call list helps keep down those calls, and if the banks achieve their goals, I think it would be appropriate to have all that are affected pull their money out of said banks, let them fail. And after that happens, call the cops for harrassment on EVERY unsolicited call you recieve. The do not call list would be reinstated pretty quickly if people took actions like those on banks potential victory. I think people should pull out of those banks anyway after this was even proposed. Teach them we will not stand for them trying to trample over us. Teach them we do not want their attempted harrassment. There are plenty of small time banks around the state that are not trying to invade our homes and privacy, only to have these national chain banks try to take it from us. Dont let this happen.
Note to any banks involved, or any affilitated with those banks :
The state of Indiana WILL NOT STAND for this, if you do get the federal government to overturn it, you will end up losing in the end in the state, give it up, either way you have lost.