Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Even more reader comments

Here are some of the comments from readers over SaveDoNotCall.com since yesterday. You can submit comments of your own by clicking here.

I have been signed up on the do not call list since it started.
And I think they are great.
I just moved back to Indiana form Las Vegas where I worked all shifts and I know what it feels like to get a phone call when I was trying to sleep.
Please do what it takes to stop the distruction of the do not call list.

While I am here please do something with this time zone problem

Thanks

***

My comments to the banks responsible for this latest mess
---------------------------------------------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Your time is valuable and so is mine, so I'll be direct and to the point. Like countless other individuals in the state of Indiana, I placed my name on the state DO NOT CALL LIST for reasons that should be obvious to anyone of average intelligence. Nevertheless, the disturbing news recently released by the Attorney General's office has made it clear that I cannot make assumptions about who will be reading this, so I'll spell it out:

I DO NOT WANT TO BE CALLED ON THE TELEPHONE, NOR MAILED, WHETHER ELECTRONICALLY OR OTHERWISE, BY ANY INDIVIDUAL, ELECTRONIC OR MECHANICAL DEVICE, OR REPRESENTATIVE OF ANY CORPORATION OR OTHER ORGANIZATION FOR THE PURPOSE OF SOLICITING DONATIONS OR PARTICIPATION IN ANY BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP OR TRANSACTION, NOR FOR THE PURPOSE OF INFORMING ME OR MY HOUSEHOLD OF ANY OFFERS OF ANY CONTESTS, PRODUCTS OR SERVICES, REGARDLESS OF ANY PRE-EXISTING BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP OR ABSENCE THEREOF.

The gross negligence demonstrated by the FCC in pandering to the Clear Channel corporation instead of protecting the public interest brings little reassurance of any privacy protection at the federal level. Indeed, I am confident that endless deluge of television advertisements will be quite sufficient to keep me informed of any commercial matter that warrants my attention.

Since it is in fact the almighty dollar that is of the utmost importance to major corporations and the government officials they employ, we the people must defend ourselves in a manner that will be understood by the decision makers of corporate America.

Therefore, make no mistake about this: failure on the part of an organization to respect my right to privacy will result in the termination of any existing business relationship between me and that organization and it will preclude any future relationship. After all, if I can't trust an organization to respect my privacy, how can I trust that organization to respect me as a customer?

In closing, I would caution readers to reconsider any notion that I might be some radical individual with a unique perspective on this matter. Instead, count the number of private citizens on Indiana's do not call list, and ask yourselves what percentage of these citizens can corporate America afford to alienate.

***

I completely agree with the DO NOT CALL list; however, I do not agree that businesses with current clients cannot call their own clients. This is ridiculous. I am on the Indiana DNC list and intend to stay on it, but I expect those businesses with whom I do business to call me, especially my financial planner. This law will destroy many small business owners.

Please research this further and reconsider not allowing businesses to contact current clients via telephone.

***

The "Do Not Call" list must stay intact and in operation.

I am a widow and do not appreciate receiving sales calls of any nature. If I want to purchase or subscribe to anything, I want to "initiate" the action --- not vice versa! It is very frustrating to receive requests for donations from unsolicited individuals/companies. Or, for that fact, sales calls of any nature.

I used to get "sales calls", or worse yet, calls soliciting donations to one thing or another --- the Do Not Call list has silenced these types of calls.

We must not allow these types of calls to begin again.

***

I really appreciate the NO Call - now I would like to see that it eliminates all unwanted calls. I get calls from veterans groups - cancer - all charitable organizations. I finally have told them NO and take my name off their listing. But they do not heed that. I am on a fixed income - I donate what I can to who I want to. This is ridiculous to think that the phone is for sales - donations. I still get calls around dinner time - late in the evening - If they call again after I have told them to take my name off their list I will report them and certainly will tell all my friends not to donate to that group.

***

It's a very very simple explanation. I don't want to be botherd by promotions I have no interest in. If I wanted to do business with them, believe me, I would contact them. If the banks are so hot on this, how about they pay my "phone bill" each month. Then I have no problem with them calling. However, I still won't answer. Glad we have and Attorney General fighting for us. Keep up the good work.