Friday, February 18, 2005

Comments from readers

Here are some of the comments we received from readers yesterday:

I only recently moved back to Indiana and was appalled by the number of solicitors that called my home every night. You can bet I was one of the 1st people to call in and have my # blocked. I was adament about calling every # given by the news media to prevent these calls. I have "enjoyed" trememdously not being bother at night any more. I work so hard during the day that I have to be able to tune out the world at night, just so I can get up and do it all over again. I rarely entertain at home for that reason. Why then would I want a stranger to be able to disrupt my evenings when I don't let my "friends", unless it's previously planed?? The only adverse effect I have noticed since this law was put into place is I receive more of these phone calls at work. I can dismiss more readily at work than at home. If there was a way to block my work #, I would be 1st in line there also.

***

do not call list is a violation of free speech. the phone is a privledge not a right. this is a form of goverment control that needs to end now. hope the banks win!!! if you dont want calls get an unlisted number or caller id!

(Note: this particular e-mail appears to have come from an employee of the Money Station. -- Ed.)

***

I registered with Indiana's Do Not Call List for its intended purpose - to keep unwanted callers from soliciting me via telephone. As for the banking group who is now attempting to override this list, I have a suggestion. Is it possible that if a potential consumer is interested in their services that consumer will contact them? These banking groups already continuously bombard us with advertisements via mail (at my house, we receive 5-10 pieces of solicitous mail from financial institutions per week, which is frustrating in itself). The worst part is that the only thing it accomplishes is me not wanting to do business with a group who is so disrespectful of my privacy and time. Please put forth your best efforts in preventing the banking group from overriding the Do Not Call list. The few calls I have received after registering on the list have resulted in me insisting that my name be removed from their call list - I believe that at this time this is! yet another attempt to promote greedy business practices rather than respectful ones. Thank you.

***

I would hope that all the board members of the banks involved in trying modify the "Do Not Call" law are listed in local phone books. Therefore, they could enjoy all the calls we formerly received in Indiana before the law was enacted. But, I bet they all have unlisted numbers because they are so 'important' and cannot be bothered by telemarketing calls. If these people who are trying to modify the law could then receive telemarketing calls I believe they would not be involved in trying to change the current law in Indiana

***

Print the names, home telephone numbers and home addresses of the bank managers of the banks who are trying to invade our privacy and lets see how they like receiving calls.If they are in the phone book its public information.

***

The 'No Call' List is one of the best laws that the State of Indiana has passed. I can not think of a sensible reason for any bank to back this effort. I certainly could no longer repect the management of any bank that supports those who want to change this law.