Monday, February 28, 2005

Another round of comments

Here are some of the comments from readers over SaveDoNotCall.com since Friday. You can submit comments of your own by clicking here.

I do not want to be called at any time by solicitors.

***

Thank you to the Attorney General for trying to save the do not call list. I have contacted my local bank who is participating in efforts to end the no call list, and sent them an e-mail deploring their unprofessional behavior that certainly does not respresent care of their customers. Our right to privacy should be upheld. There is no reason why they need to invade our private homes with calls related to their business. They already send us information in the mail, which we can read and decide a response, without it interefering in our personal family time. This effort to do away with the no-call list does not sound like something a democracy would support. The banks are definately thinking only of themselves and not their customers. We are not invading their private lives, why should they be granted the ability to invade ours? I didn't think a democracy should fold to such evil pressure. How strong is our democratic government, and who will prote! ct the right of the individual private citizen from such invasion, unless it is the govenment who has been given authority to protect us from such personal attacks against our privacy? Stand up as the protector of the greater good of the public, against the personal interest of a few. The do not call list eliminated a lot of interuption to individual personal privacy and safety - please do whatever you can to continue to represent and protect the privacy of the American Citizen and demonstrate how powerful you are, as a representative of the people, to protect us and support only efforts to respect our privacy. Shoot down these private interest groups and their efforts to serve only themselves - and the the private citizen be damned!

***

I do not appreciate the fact that a business can block my peace and quiet by taking away the do not call list. I enjoy the quiet time my family and I have in the evenings. As an employee of a locally owned bank, we had been warned that some of the other area banks were trying to take down the no call list and we were told we were not a participant in that. I think it's pretty sad when you have to make sales calls on the phone to find business. Maybe this should tell you something about your bank.

***

I'm getting a little P'Oed about this do not call list thing being overtunred or whatever
The people have spoken. Businesses, it would seem that you are not wanted to harrass people over & over again to get new customers
Now I understand the need to make more $ but if the people of Indy don't want to be distrubed when they r sleeping,having dinner or enjoying quiet time then please for the love of the Lord himself, get it through those thick skulls of yours.....businesses & CEO's of that businesses...leave us alone that want to be left alone!

***

The list has a purpose. Let it stand. I do want to be called by tele-marketers! If I need anything, I'll get it on my own. I do not want help from tele-marketers. Get them away from my phone number. I pay for my phone, for my home's private use.

***

The banks and credit card cos are always sending inserts as to protecting your privacy. Now they are trying to do just the opposite .If my bank does not give up on the no call I will change my banking habits and deposit my accounts in a bank that will respect my privacy .If I want a service I am sure there are many ways for me to find the right place for me .Keep up the good work STEVE CARTER Thank you for upholding our rights for privacy .

***

I do not think it that the banks need to have the right to call and interupt our family time. The almighty dollar seems to be the issue here. Family is more important. Children go to sleep before 9 or 10 PM. The phone ringing makes it impossible to keep children asleep.It has been so nice to sit down for a meal and not be interupted by phone. If this is reinstated I only see one alternative and that is to remove the phone. Another alternative would be to use the phone for emergency purposes only and turn the ringer off. Please don't allow this to happen. Evenings are for families not to be bothered by the phone ringing all the time.

***

Having dealt with Wells Fargo I had decided to stop dealing with because any contact led to a barrage of horrendous telemarketers many using tactics which made you feel the contact was a followup on your recent activity.(such as a mortgage reselting in calls concerning credit cards "free checking" etc,)
Local personnel at the bank were embarrassed but claimed the calls were authoriozed above them. My home is a home again the dozens of calls have stopped and dinner is a time for discussions not interruptions and frustrations caused by the bottoms of society bothering my family.
Indiana is about family values let's expand the do not call list to businesses or e-mail and further expand the time my family has interruption free. BUT FIGHT FOR WHAT WE HAVE LETS NOT GO BACK TO WHERE WE WERE.

***

We registered with Indiana's Do Not Call List to keep unwanted callers from soliciting us by telephone. Period! Translated in plain English that means WE DO NOT WANT TO BE CALLED!! Before Indiana's Do Not Call List, we were receiving 12 to 20 calls per day, in spite of the fact, that we had requested to be on each and every business or charitable entity's do not call list!! We have never purchased from, nor contributed to, any telephone solicitor; but that didn't stop them from calling us. We told them we would take our business elsewhere if they didn't stop their telephone harassment of us; but that didn't stop them from calling us. We did take our business elsewhere; but that didn't stop them from calling us. We've had a non-published phone number for years; but it's worthless, since businesses commonly "share" our phone number with others for the right price. Purchasing Caller ID from our telephone company didn't help either because telemarketers can easily purchase software from our telephone company that masks their identity from the caller ID, which our telephone company sold us to help us stop unwanted calls! Praise to the Almighty Dollar!

At the very least, these unwanted calls constitute harassment, trespass and a total disregard for our property rights, since we own our telephone equipment and we pay to lease our telephone lines. We have the legal right to keep unwanted people from entering our property and have them arrested if they don't comply. It doesn't matter whether they try to force their way in through the front door, sneak in through the back door, break in through a window, or slither in through our telephone line. They are denying us our legal right to the quiet enjoyment of our property. But they do far more damage than that! They deny children their much-needed naps. They deny second and third shifters their eight hours of sleep, thereby forcing them to drive in a sleep-deprived state, which is a leading cause of traffic accidents. They cause pain and suffering to people who are ill, recovering from surgery or handicapped. Speaking from experience, it is impossible to answer the telephone without enduring excruciating pain when one's back is broken; but explaining that to them didn't stop them from calling us.

In fact, virtually NOTHING STOPPED THEM FROM CALLING US until Indiana passed their Do Not Call legislation! The federal law is no substitute for Indiana's law. Perhaps those who want to weaken our law should be held accountable for ALL OF THE DESTRUCTION resulting from this gross invasion of our right to privacy.

***

I agree to the utmost with the many commentors here. Telemarketing companies please ,get the picture !!! WE DO NOT WANT YOU CALLING OUR HOMES!! LEAVE US ALONE!! I can not understand for the life of me why some companies think it is a good idea to bother people at home for a buck. It makes no sense. The more you anger me the more I don't want your business. I get enough junk mail, e-mail, and tv ads as it is. What makes them think they have the right to call us against our will. I for one support any effort to preserve the Do Not Call list.

***

The telephone do-not-call list is about the only respite I have gotten from the massive invasions of my privacy. If these people(CBA)succeed, we should all buy a Kelly Bundy whistle for the telephone. Or is there some better technology to retaliate against these privacy invaders?

***

Please work to preserve the current status of the Do Not Call List. Allowing banks a llop hole around this law would result as a hole in the dike of unwanted calls invading our privacy.

I would like to point out that there are many aged and mentally
disabled people through out our state that do not need the added burden of unsolicited tel-marketers preying on their dismenished decision making capacity.

Our entire family is prepared to move our buisness from any finacial institution that supports over turning the current law and we will encourge other to do the same.